The choice to start a health blog doesn’t come out of nowhere. In most cases, there are underlying reasons that motivate someone to produce content and regularly publish it online. Motivators can vary from person to person; it could be a desire to inform or inspire. No matter what it is, once you have the drive to create a successful health blog, the next thing you’ll need is the essential know-how.
To get you started in your health blogging journey, you may want to consider including the following four components of a successful health blog in your online public journal:
#1 A clear niche
An effective way to set yourself apart from other health blogs is to define your niche clearly. You can start by looking at a broad topic area. From there, you can then focus on a more specific topic that is both interesting and timely. General areas of interest in health include:
- Healthcare technology trends
- Nutritious food
- Prevention and treatment of diseases
- Taking care of one’s mental health
Keep in mind that some health topics, like veganism and yoga, are already favorites among numerous blogs. This is why it’s a good idea to choose a topic that not a lot of people know or talk about yet. Apart from that, your personal interests and what’s currently relevant can influence your decision when choosing a niche to settle into.
#2 A detailed ‘About Me’ Section
Once you’ve determined a specific niche for your health blog, you’re one step closer to writing a great ‘About Me’ section. Although this section is the right place to introduce yourself and the reasons for starting your blog, it should mainly highlight what and who the blog is for. After all, it would be challenging to regularly produce content if you don’t have a clear target audience in mind.
In this way, writing an ‘About Me’ section is also a great opportunity to identify your desired reader type and what they’re looking for, whether it’s working moms seeking parenting advice or nurses needing tips in writing a nurse practitioner resume.
Choosing a target audience is a crucial step in establishing any blog. By knowing your readers, you can determine the following:
- Your ideal tone and style of writing.
- How much in-depth information is needed in every article.
- What kind of topics you should cover.
Be sure to put a lot of thought into writing this section. More often than not, when people can’t relate to what they read on there, they’ll be quick to exit the website.
#3 Quality content
Whether it’s an article, an infographic, or a short video, the content that you publish on your blog must meet the high standards of your readers. You can do that by ensuring that they have the following characteristics:
- Well-researched – Everything you publish on your health blog must be backed-up by hard evidence which should be obtained from reliable sources. Nowadays, the average person is quicker to distinguish between genuine truths and fallacious claims. Right from the beginning, establish yourself and your blog as a solid source of information and maybe even motivation.
- Well-written – No one wants to read an article that’s riddled with grammatical errors and awkward sentences. Although blogs these days often feature visuals like photos and videos, the text element still holds the value that it always did. See to it that all of your blog posts are readable and engaging. Using simple and straightforward language can help you reach those standards.
Here’s another crucial tip to keep in mind: a blog post, above anything else, must be original. Whether it’s two sentences or whole paragraphs, plagiarizing content from more famous health blogs is one of the most disrespectful things you can do as a blogger.
- Valuable – How can you ensure that your content has value? Well, the first thing to get right is timeliness. If you’re giving out relevant information or addressing urgent concerns within your chosen niche, then you’re starting off on the right foot. Keep your momentum going by mixing things up while still staying true to your goals.
#4 Subtle advertising
A strong following is not the only thing that will make your health blog successful. Although earning from it shouldn’t be the sole reason for doing it, it doesn’t hurt to find ways to transform blogging into something that’s more than a hobby. Here are some ways to make money with your health blog:
- Feature advertisements.
- Include affiliate links in your posts.
- Sell products and memberships.
With the dawn of a health-conscious generation comes the rising number of health bloggers. Joining their ranks can be intimidating, so if you’re really committed to the thought of starting a successful health blog, it has to be armed with a clear niche, a well-written ‘About Me’ section, quality content, and some subtle advertising.