I got asked this question last week….
“What’s the best way to lose fat from my stomach?”
It’s not the first time i’ve been asked something like this (and it wont be the last!) so I thought it would be good to write a blog post on the subject…
There are 5 things we need to consider and implement in order to shed fat from the midsection…
- Calorie Deficit
- Ab Training
- Protein for Fat Loss
- Weight Training
#1 Calorie Deficit
Firstly, the most important thing to focus on when trying to lose weight/body fat is to create a calorie deficit. You won’t burn fat without it! You could burn 6,000 calories through exercise, but if you then eat 10,000 calories… you wont lose weight!
Once a calorie deficit is achieved you will lose weight, and there are some things you can do to increase the likelihood of losing fat from your abdomen which are…
#2 Ab Training
I always hear the saying “abs are made in the kitchen” – meaning that it’s all about the diet when trying to get a lean midsection. In part this is very true, you need to lose body fat in order to see your abs, and diet is obviously a huge factor in this…
That said you still need to train your abs like any other muscle…VERY HARD and REGULARLY. Abs are made in the kitchen but they are also made in the gym. If you want to have a flatter midsection, and improve the shape and look of your abs then you need to be training your abs at least 3-4x per week.
I’d recommend doing abs at the beginning of your workout when you’re fresh. Do 1 exercise for the lower abs, 1 for the upper, 1 for the obliques and also throw in 1 static exercise like the plank.
For example a good ab routine would be…
- Lower abs – hanging leg raises 3 sets x 10-15 reps
- Upper abs – decline sit ups 3 sets x 15-20 reps
- Obliques – Russian twists with medicine ball 3 sets x 30-50 reps
- Static Exercise – front or side plank 3 sets x 60-120s
#3 Protein for fat loss:
Protein is the most important nutrient for fat loss. A high protein diet boosts metabolism and reduces appetite. Protein cuts cravings and helps to reduce your belly fat. Make sure you get enough amount of protein from your food every day, as they are the main building blocks of the body. Protein is just not about quantity but the quality.
The best source of protein is meat, as it contains all the essential amino acids that our body needs. Meats such as chicken, pork, and lamb are all highly rich in protein. So, don’t shy away from those meatballs and beef patties and include them in generous proportions.
1) LISS – Low Intensity Steady State Cardio – activities include walking, low speed cycling, etc. Basically activities which burn energy but don’t make you very out of breath. You should be able to hold a conversation whilst doing LISS cardio.
2) HIIT – High Intensity Interval Training – this is high intensity training like running sprints, explosive weight training, cycling sprints, etc. It’s hard work and the aim is to go flat out, followed by a period of rest, or slow recovery exercise. For example you would sprint 50m as fast as possible but then walk slowly for 2 minutes to recover, before then going again!
Both forms of cardio are good for burning fat. I’d recommend trying to do them both by…
- Walking 10,000 steps per day – this covers your LISS
- Add HIIT training into your gym sessions – For example do your abs routine (see above) and then do 10 minutes HIIT on a fitness bike where you do a 15s sprint followed by a 45s slow cycle, do this for 10 minutes!
#5 Weight Training
If you want to make your waist look flatter and smaller then you need to make other muscles look bigger, for example the shoulders and legs. Bigger shoulders will make the waist appear smaller and the same can be said for legs.
You’ll also want to consider making your back wider. This isn’t just for guys but also women too. Too many women are still afraid of lifting weights because they fear it will make them bulky – this isn’t true (check out this post I wrote for more info on why women need to lift weights).
A good exercise/weight training session for flattening your midsection could look like this…
- ab routine (see above)
- HIIT training (10 mins on the bike)
- Weights routine : lateral pull down, bent over rows, DB clean & Press, Squats
Other great exercises include:
- Legs: lunges, hack squat, barbell RDL, lying ham curl, leg extension
- Back: pull ups, dumbbell rows, TRX pull ups, DB pull overs
- Shoulders: side raises, rear raises, cable raises, upright rows.
Getting the lean midsection look…
So now you know what you need to do you just need to take action and make it happen. Focus on the above 5 areas and be consistent. Take your weight, measurements and body fat (using callipers) and take regular assessments to make-sure you’re on track and that the numbers are going down.
The more body fat you have around the stomach the longer it will take you, so be patient and trust in the process.
If you found this post helpful please leave your comment below or share with a friend whom it could help.
Thanks again, and don’t forget to check out my other health and fitness blogs, there are now over 700 blogs on my site!
Who Want’s to Lose 13lbs in a month?
Kirsty (featured above) lost 13lbs in just 28 days following the 28 Day Keto Challenge diet and exercise plan.
If you like, you too can follow the exact method that I used to lose 16lbs in just 28 days.
I’ve also used this super successful strategy on hundreds of LEP members – but don’t just take my word for it go check out the hundreds of testimonials on my site!
WHAT’S IN THE 28 DAY KETO CHALLENGE?
- A 28 Day Written Plan of action – A personal road map guaranteed to achieve success
- A Ketogenic Diet Plan – A meal plan to help you shed layers of fat
- 7 Day Training Plan for the gym
- 7 Day Training Plan for at home (if you don’t want to go to the gym)
- A Post Keto strategy for further weight loss (once you’ve completed the 28 days)
Basically everything you need to know to shift some serious timber! whether you’re a man, or woman, old, young, fit, or unfit this plan will get to work on exterminating stubborn body fat!
Typically for an LEP Custom Meal Plan the investment is £150. For the 28 Day Keto Challenge i’m making this plan available for just £9.99! That’s a crazy offer, and one i’m very unlikely to make again.
‘Swipe Up’ Your 28 Day Keto Challenge NOW to Start Rapidly Losing Weight…