There’s so much fluff and BS in the Health & Fitness industry that it’s misleading people into a false sense of what it takes to get in shape. We live in a society that’s quite happy to spend thousands of pounds on MAGIC PILLS but a society which is unwilling to invest thousands of hrs putting in HARD WORK.
It’s not your fault, we’re being mislead and it’s time to cut through the BS! The truth is getting in shape is no easy task, and that’s the aim of this post, to paint a clearer picture and just be totally frickin honest…
The Brutal Facts About Getting In Shape…
1) GETTING IN SHAPE WILL NOT MAKE YOU HAPPY – i’ve said this before and i’ll say it again, being fit, and looking good can dramatically boost your life, providing you are largely content in the first place. If however your desire to get in shape is to impress others, gain popularity, and seek self validation… the likelihood is that you’ll be disappointed. It’s just as important (if not more) to work on your mind as it is your body. For years I worked on my body and neglected my mind. I may have looked good on the outside, but it only opened up the gaps further on the inside. Work on the mind and the body will improve.
2) FAR FROM GLAMOROUS – you’re going to have to PUT IN WORK and LOTS OF IT! Be prepared for sweat, fatigue, aches, and pains. This notion that you can go into the gym and leave sweat free, with your make-up intact…is…well.. total BS! The harsh reality is that you have to invest time, money and most importantly… A LOT OF EFFORT.
3) CONSTANT WORK – It’s a never ending journey. When you get in shape your not done, you have to maintain it. If you don’t brush your teeth, they rot, if you don’t workout and eat well, your body does the equivalent. It’s a long term commitment.
4) A BUMPY ROAD – Just like anything in life you don’t always get what you want when you want it. I’m all for setting and achieving goals, but sometimes you don’t reach them and that’s ok. What’s important is developing the heart and determination to keep pushing forwards. Sometimes you’ll make quantum leaps, other times you’ll plateau and at time’s you’ll regress. Accept, learn from, and then move on.
5) YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE – Again as much as I wish I could say you can get in shape by eating sh*t load of chocolate and pizza… and as much as I wish I could tell you that you barely have to workout…the truth is it’s just not possible. Like anything in life the more work you put in… the better results you’ll get. The habits that got you out of shape won’t get you in shape (and vice versa).